This isn’t meant to serve as a recipe, instead I hope to get you out of a ‘what’s for dinner’ rut.
Making a sub salad is fast, and as easy as opening a few jars of condiments, a bag of sliced pepperoni and/or salami, and cutting up lettuce (or opening a bag of pre-cut lettuce).
This doesn’t need a recipe, but here are some helpful tips:
- Buy 1 baguette and turn it into homemade croutons (they are way better than store bought)
- Plan on roughly 2 ounces of meat per person
- 1 ounce of cheese per person is modest, double it for cheese lovers (about 115 calories per ounce)
If you are eating salad to watch your calories, several things can creep up on you:
- Each ounce of cheese is roughly 100 calories
- While olive oil is high in calories, many nutrients are fat soluble, so it is a great ingredient in salad dressings. 1 Tbsp is roughly 100 calories. If you want to cut the dressing down to 1 Tbsp per person instead of 2, get creative with replacing some of the oil: juice from that jar of pepperoncini, pureed onions, a little extra vinegar or mustard.
The recipe below is meant to give you some nutritional information based on the amount of meat and cheese (etc) you might use.
Italian sub salad
Fast weeknight meal that requires practically no prep (and really doesn't need a recipe).
- 4 cups iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olives, pitted your favorite kind
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini
- 4 ounces Italian meat pepperoni, salami, etc
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 baguette, for croutons
Whisk dressing ingredients together (or use your favorite store-bought Italian dressing).
Mix all ingredient together to make the salad.